Friday 8 February 2013

Friday

Good morning
I feel so much better about life today, it's as though a heavy cloud has floated away and allowed a ray of sunshine back in. Again, thank you all for your comments and messages and emails. I don't get much time on the internet at the moment so forgive me if it takes me a little while to respond, I am very glad to hear from you.

 The last couple of days the sunshine hasn't been purely metaphorical. I saw the real thing for the first time in a while, blue sky too.

It's still very much winter still though and there's been an icy wind that'll kick you in the kidneys if you don't wrap up.
These little beauties under the oak tree in the workshop garden, were bobbing their little white heads in the wind, bringing with them their tale of optimism and the promise that Spring will come. They seem to be a particularly early variety as they're always a couple of weeks before the others around here. It's always a joy to see them, but especially this year.
The first daffodil in the garden is flowering too, although the wind has snapped it's fragile stem poor thing.
This is Digger the dog, enjoying the sunshine on the doorstep of the house where I'm staying. He's a funny boy and spends quite a lot of time in and out of my workshop these days, barking at the sheepdogs and stealing the duck food. He's become my cuddly comfort, although he's a bit bony. I'm sure he would say the same about me.
A new distraction in the workshop, as if I needed one.
This arrived earlier in the week, a new little movie camera. My old one wore out and fell apart and to be honest I haven't much felt like making those little films any more, but I might document the arrival of the spring and the making of a few pots. I'm just not quite at the stage where the energy and focus has kicked in and my confidence is still lagging a bit, but it'll happen soon because it has to if I'm to fulfill my objectives and meet my deadlines and getting busy is the positive way forward for head and heart.
Here's the crazy jug from earlier in the week, slipped in green and drying ready to fire.
I have quite a few jugs that are awaiting glazing, so I'll do that today and get them through the kiln, then they'll be finished and I'll perhaps feel like I'm achieving something.
These dishes will need turning today. I need to make lots more and get in to the groove today. I'm always a bit nervous about making flat things because I'm a reluctant decorator and there's a whole lot of surface to worry about here. I wish I could just do it, like that girl up North.

Oh well, I'd better get to work and try and make some pots. Seven weeks until my show opens in Tokyo and the pots are still clay in bags. Have a good day everybody.

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Some of the pots are still clay in bags and some of the bags aren't even at your workshop yet!

Thanks for the mention.

h

Dennis Allen said...

Nice looking guitar.Glad the sun is coming out.

Anna M. Branner said...

Amazing what sunshine can do to make us feel a bit better and brighter!

Before you know it you will be shipping pots and the success in Tokyo will be passed. :)

Armelle Léon said...

Hi Doug, best wishes to you and all my thoughts from not so far, we have the sun today in Brittany too, it makes such a difference !!!
Tokyo, wow !!! Courage

MH said...

Looks like you and Lucile have your work cut out. Hang in - you'll make it.
Cheers

Ron said...

Glad to hear you are doing okay today and good to see that sunshine too! I can't wait till you go to Japan. It's going to be an amazing experience for you. Get those pots made, you're the MAN!

gz said...

The first flowers- good to lift the heart!

That jug is looking good- here's to the rest of its mates!!

doug Fitch said...

Thank you all :) x